Improve Moisture Control With CLIMAGEL Desiccants From MetPro!
Are you experiencing issues with moisture in your packaging process?
Are you experiencing issues with corrosion during transportation?
Are your profits being eaten away because your products aren’t arriving at their location in excellent condition?
We can help with that! We’re the experts when it comes to corrosion protection solutions. We have packaging solutions that will ensure your goods arrive at their intended destination in a safe and dry manner. MetPro’s CLIMAGEL Desiccants are the most effective drying agents on the market! At MetPro, we have decades of experience supplying of Desiccants and we’re aware that not all Desiccants will be efficient or effective for all applications. That’s why MetPro can provide custom packaging dependent on the level of protection that’s required.
Corrosion can eat into the profits of any company. MetPro’s Desiccants are just one of many rust prevention solutions that we offer to help you protect your company’s profits.
What Causes Corrosion?
- The presence of condensation and high humidity in the packaging
- Hand perspiration
- Passive Conservation
- Interaction with contaminants and chemicals
The presence of condensation and high humidity causes corrosion. This is why it must be controlled and eliminated right from the start. These problems may be caused by:
- Packing with very high humidity
- Packing with wet and humid parts
- Packing warm parts
- Intrusion of surface water
- Intrusion of moisture due to damaged packaging
Wrapping with high moisture content materials such as:
- Cardboard, paper
- Wood, wood-wool, chipboards
- Felt, cloth, etc.
- Missing or poor covering boxes
- Missing drying agents such as Desiccants (which are a necessity for export packaging)
- Extreme climatic conditions
- Long duration of storage and transport
MetPro’s Climagel Desiccants provide very good anti-corrosion protection when they’re used with barrier packaging. The Desiccant method is especially recommended for products that are subject to oxidation due to oxygen and humidity in the air, and is preferred:
- If the structure and the consistency of the product don’t allow for other protection methods against chemical influences
- If the corrosion protection must be removed quickly and without leaving a residue
- If it’s necessary to observe the condition of the product during storage
- If the packing material must be composed of because different material components are packed in the same container.
MetPro’s Climagel Desiccants can be used for the following:
- Electric equipment and devices
- Switches for high tension
- Optical devices
- Food and sweets
- Pharmaceutical products
- Sensitive semi-finished products as casting, wire, sheet metal plates
- Almost all industrial goods
MetPro is your one stop shop for industrial packaging! That’s why we also supply a barrier packaging called CLIMAFOL. By the use of Climagel (Desiccant) with Climafol (Barrier Packaging), you’re guaranteed to have a packaging solution that has virtually zero chance of corrosion. The Clima packaging solution essentially eliminates moisture and prevent products from rusting.
Here’s how you pack using Clima Packaging:
- Prepare your cardboard box
- Insert the foil bag
- Insert the product or products
- Add the Desiccant drying agents
- Formetically seal the foil bag
- Wrap the foil neatly around the box
- Seal the cardboard box
The position of the Desiccant drying agent within the packaging is very important. It must be placed strategically so it can absorb all the humidity inside the package (which means don’t put it inside additional foil bags or closed compartments). Placing Desiccants within a foil barrier, or a closed box is useless and may even be counterproductive because the drying agent absorbs humidity until it’s saturated and cannot absorb any of the moisture in the rest of the space inside the packaging.
The measure of efficiency of Desiccants is in their water vapor adsorption capacity measured in Desiccant units. This is a defined quantity of desiccant which is in balance with air at 23oC +/- 2oC and 40% humidity at a minimum of 6 gram water vapor.
Desiccants must protect goods from moisture during transport and storage at varied climatic conditions. The air outside is sealed away by a barrier layer. The air inside the packaging is dried by the Desiccant so that no corrosion can occur. As this method works on the base of adsorption of water vapor, it can be used for almost all materials. The Desiccant can be used anywhere within the packaging! For instance, if a case requires special packing material like wood, cardboard or cushioning – material with a high residual humidity – additional Desiccant requirements must be calculated and the appropriate amounts used.
The Clima Packaging solution combining Desiccants and barrier material is used widely in the sea and export industry. Clima packaging should protect your packed goods from environmental and climatic conditions and avoid corrosion at the same time. That’s why we employ a special foil that protects reliably from humidity, salt-laden sea air and other components like oil, grease, and solar radiation.
In addition, the packaging must be prepared so that the climatic conditions inside the foil are kept constant, avoiding corrosion. This can be guaranteed by employing diffusion resistant aluminium laminated foils combined with Desiccants that bind packed humidity and reduce air humidity to below 40-50%, which is critical for corrosion.
A number of items need to be considered when employing sea or export packaging:
- The barrier foil must be hermetically sealed.
- The barrier foil must not be damaged at all.
- When using Desiccant drying agents, you must pay attention that they are still active.
- The surfaces of the packaging goods must be dry, clean and free of hand perspiration.
- Avoid using wood, board, paper, laminated records or other materials with additional moisture content.
- If this cannot be avoided, the moisture must be compensated for by adding additional Desiccant.
- Use care to avoid piercing the barrier foil (e.g., with nails, screws, boring).
- Protect the barrier foil against chafing or punctures from sharp edges with additional cushioning.
- Pay attention that no waterskin develops which could damage the foil.
- Large humid air volumes can be reduced by pumping out the air, thereby reducing the need for Desiccant.
- Suction can also be used to check the density of your packaging material.
- By using suction, the foil can be kept inherently stable and protected from supplementary climatic influences like wind and rain.
- The Desiccant should not be exposed to atmospheric humidity.
- Don’t forget to ensure that the amount of Desiccant used matches the size of the package.
MetPro Desiccant Protection with a Difference!
Are you experiencing issues with moisture and corrosion in your packaging? Are your profits being eaten away because your products aren’t arriving at their destination in excellent condition? Give MetPro Group a call today and we’ll let you know which packaging solution best suits your needs!